Nimal Weeraratne is a senior legal practitioner who provides independent consultancy services to the firm having returned to Sri Lanka after serving as High Commissioner of Sri Lanka to Singapore & Brunei from 2015-2018. He holds a Diploma in International Law & Practice from the University of Colombo and is enrolled as a Solicitor of England & Wales, Barrister of the High Court of Australia, and Solicitor of the Supreme Court in Australia.
In addition to his early years of practice he also worked in Barristers Chambers in the areas of Corporate, Commercial, Investment & Tax Law.
Having joined the private sector, he worked for Stafford Group of Companies from 1980, as a Senior Executive & Group Director/ Secretary. He was eventually promoted to Managing Director and CEO of Stafford Motor Co. Ltd until 2004.
He joined as a Partner of a Sri Lankan law firm in 2004 where his areas of practice included investments, commercial, corporate, employment and labour law. He left the partnership in 2015 to take up a diplomatic posting.
During his varied career he was appointed as a Member of the Leadership Council of the Inter Pacific Bar Association and its regional Co-Ordinator for Sri Lanka & Bangladesh from 2014 – 2016.
He also served as:
• Jurisdictional Council Member of the Inter Pacific Bar Association 2006-2009, for Sri Lanka.
• Chairperson for the Oversea Relations Committee of the Bar Association on two occasions.
• Former Governor of the Arbitration Centre of the Sri Lanka National Council of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
Since October 2021 he has served as Chairman of the Board of Transnational Security Services Lanka (Private) Ltd.
Mr Weeraratne was also a key contributor to:
• Employment & Human Resources Laws of Sri Lanka to the widely circulated publication “Asia Pacific Employment Law Guide” issued by the global law firm Herbert Smith Freehills.
• Employment law of the e-book of the Federation of International Employers.